A veterinarian explains what they are and how to handle them if Rover or Kitty consumes them

Turkey with gravy ranks among the most popular holiday dishes. Most dogs and cats agree that roast turkey tastes delicious.

The fat in turkey skin and other greasy, fatty foods such as bacon, gravy, and butter are not liked by cats or dogs. Overeating fat can cause pancreatitis in pets. This is an inflammation of the pancreas, which helps to break down fats, proteins, and carbohydrates.

The pancreas “digests” itself due to pancreatitis. Untreated pancreatitis may affect other organs, such as the liver, kidneys, and blood clotting.

Vomiting and diarrhea are the most common symptoms. Urgently take any pet that has pancreatitis to the nearest veterinary hospital. The vet will run diagnostic blood tests, including a test to detect pancreatic enzymes called pancreatic Lipase Immunoreactivity (cPLI/fPLI).

Pancreatitis is treated primarily by treating its symptoms. Pets are given IV fluids in order to restore electrolyte balance. They may also be given pain medication and anti-nausea medications to reduce vomiting. It may be necessary to administer antibiotics, liver protectors, and probiotics, as well as a special diet.

Bread and onion offenses

The problem would be solved if only the turkey were at fault! Other common ingredients that are used during the holidays can also be harmful to pets.

Alliums are not toxic to humans, but they can be harmful to dogs and cats. Alliums are toxic for dogs and cats. Ingestion of alliums can lead to hemolytic anemia, a decrease in the number of red cells.

Vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, and jaundice are all symptoms of hemolytic anemia. They usually appear within a few weeks after consumption.

Veterinarians perform blood tests on pets to determine if a transfusion will be necessary. They treat the symptoms of Allium Intoxication with IV fluids, anti-nausea medications, and antioxidants.

Keep Yeast-Risen Foods Away From Your Pet. These foods contain yeast that can ferment and produce toxic amounts of ethanol in pets’ stomachs. In pets, ethanol poisoning can lead to metabolic acidosis, which may cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, respiratory depression, and seizures.

Pet owners usually do not notice the symptoms of metabolic acidosis in their pets until it’s almost too late. If you suspect that your pet may have eaten any yeast dough (cooked or raw), take it immediately to a veterinary emergency room.

Keep alcoholic beverages out of reach for pets as well.

No chocolate for pets

What about chocolate, a holiday favorite?

It is toxic to dogs and cats. Often, when vets treat chocolate ingestion, they hear from children that their pet shares the candy.

Even though chocolate is safe for humans, it contains poisonous substances that can be harmful to pets. Nathan Blow/Photodisc via Getty Images

Ingesting chocolate in pets can cause “chocolate toxicity,” which is a condition where methylxanthines build up in the body, making them sick. Chocolate intoxication can cause pets to show signs such as tremors and increased heart rates, nausea, diarrhea, restlessness, and seizures.

Intoxication by chocolate in pets is a serious medical emergency. The animal must have its stomach emptied, and it will need to receive IV fluids as well as activated charcoal. The vet may want to know what kind of chocolate and how much the pet consumed, as some chocolates, like baking chocolate, can have more toxic effects.

The pancreas of your cat or dog will also not like chocolate because it is high in fat.

Grapes and dogs do not mix.

What about fruits? There is one fruit that is very toxic for dogs, and it often appears at holiday gatherings. It’s grapes.

The tartaric acid found in grapes and raisins can cause acute kidney disease if eaten. Vomiting, intermittent diarrhea, and an increased water intake are all signs of acute renal disease in dogs.

Acute kidney failure in dogs is an emergency. The pet should be rushed immediately to a veterinary clinic or emergency room if it is suspected. The treatment is usually limited to IV fluids for stabilizing your pet.

Sweet to humans, poisonous to pets

Xylitol toxic is a common emergency that veterinarians encounter today, but it is still relatively unknown to pet owners.

Xylitol, an artificial sweetener, is often found in sugar-free products. While it is safe for humans, cats and dogs are at risk of death from this poison.

Even a small amount of xylitol ingestion can cause the liver to release insulinThis results in hypoglycemia, which is an abnormally low blood sugar level. In 30 minutes, the pet will show symptoms like vomiting, lethargy, seizures, and loss of coordination in its limbs. This is called ataxia.

In order to treat a pet suffering from xylitol poisoning, it is necessary to administer IV fluids that contain dextrose in order to increase the blood sugar level.

Bottom line: The bottom line? Give your furry and feathery babies some treats from the veterinarian or pet store, and don’t let them near the trash or kitchen counter.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *