Holidays can be dangerous for pets

Christmas is the perfect time to relax and enjoy your family, friends, and pets. It can also be dangerous and scary for your pets. Even visitors, food, gifts, and decorations can be hazardous. Vets typically report the festive season as being one of their understanding of the dangers, which will help you to avoid them. It would help if you also let everyone know which products are safe for your family pets. Prevention is always better than cure.

Pet etiquette can also be explained to visitors. Changes in routine can cause some pets to become anxious and upset. Has made this worse by the pandemic. It is important to be aware that dogs can bite when left unsupervised near children who are excited or unfamiliar. You must provide your pet with a quiet, safe space to ensure the safety of both your guests and your pet.

The problem is especially acute with festive foods. Be careful when sharing festive foods with your pets. Even slight changes in diet can cause digestive upsets and discomfort for some animals.

Cats are more discriminating than dogs when it comes to their food. Our dogs are more likely to eat foods they shouldn’t. But cats should also be watched.

The condition is painful and distressing. It occurs most often in dogs that have eaten fatty foods. To reduce the risk, avoid giving your pet leftovers. You should also avoid giving your pets cooked bones.

Raisins are found in mince pies, Christmas cakes and puddings. These are poisonous to dogs. Many recipes include grapes, currants, and sultanas, which are toxic to dogs. Macadamias are also a hazard. They can cause a variety of symptoms, including depression, weakness, nausea, and stiffness. Some nuts and seeds are choking hazards.

Alcohol consumption should be restricted to humans only. Rotting apple has even caused alcohol poisoning to dogs. Keep food waste and leftovers away from harm. raw dough and blue cheese, as well as salt-dough decorations should be avoided. They contain compounds that may cause serious illness.

Salt-dough decorations. 13Smile/Shutterstock

Onions, Garlic, and Chives also contain toxic chemicals for cats and dogs. Cooking them does not make these substances safer. Even a spoonful of sage-and-onion stuffing is enough to cause problems.

Sweet treats do not make you safer. Holidays are associated with a higher risk of toxicity. Avoid artificial sweeteners such as xylitol, which is used in chewing-gum.

Food is not just for eating

If consumed, the wrappers of sweets and other chocolates may pose a health risk. In fact, dogs and cats are often affected by digestive foreign objects, which require emergency surgery. Toys, gifts, and decorations that are consumed can lead to intestinal damage and blockage.

Also, be aware of the dangers that plants can pose. The needles from Christmas trees may penetrate your paws and cause infection. Poinsettias, mistletoes and hollyberries are also toxic when consumed. Lily leaves, pollen and petals are particularly harmful for cats.

Ingestion of even small amounts of antifreeze can be fatal for cats . Antifreeze is used in vehicles more often during colder weather. Spills can happen. It can also be found in decorations such as snowglobes. Therefore, it’s important to take care not to let our pets get into them.

Some snowglobes are made with antifreeze. 22Images Studio/Shutterstock

It is always best to consult a veterinarian as soon as you suspect your pet may have eaten something or been exposed to anything potentially harmful. We can ensure that the holiday season is safe and relaxing for everyone, including our pets, by taking some precautions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *