When it comes to painting your roof, it is always a good idea to get it painted once each year or every six months. By applying a fresh coat, you’ll be able to make your roof look fresh and as good as new. But before you get started. For starters, painting the roof on your own should save you a bundle on the contractor fees. And for another, you may want to review this post, as it contains more than a few valuable tips and information that you need to know before you begin on your DIY project.
- Roof inspection: When it comes to roof painting in NZ, one of the first things that you need to do is to carry out an exhaustive roof inspection. Make sure that you wear a safety harness, and take due precautions as you check out the roof. Make sure that you check for missing gutters, falling loose trims, and even leaks developing on the roof. You must pay due attention while checking out your roof and make sure that you carry out an interior check, as well.
- Interiors: Roof painting is never complete without a complete exterior and interior inspection of your roof. And as you check out the interiors, make sure that there are no leaks. And keep an eye out for water stains, stain marks as it is often an indication of a larger problem. And the same applies to signs of black mold, mildew, and even fungus – as these do not occur without the presence of constant moisture. So check out the interiors and confirm that your roof is fine and that you can move onto the next stage.
- Cleaning and sterilizing: Once you have revamped and repaired your roof of all pending issues, you can move on to cleaning and sterilizing your roof completely. Just check the roof for any new indications of dirt, dust, and even mold. You can easily remove this and make sure that you clean up your entire room. You need to clean your roof completely and ensure that it is clean enough before you start painting it – as this will ensure that the paint is durable. Just make sure that you sterilize the roof completely by applying the required biocidal solution, as this will remove all traces of mold completely.
- Protect your roof: Before you start painting your roof, you need to apply the sealant so that it can withstand the weather and the rapid climatic shifts. By roof sealing, you can ensure that your shingles do not degrade due to strong weather. UV radiation can and will damage shingles in the long run so make sure that you apply the sealant all over the roof and the shingles.
- Waterproof your roof: One of the popular sealants to use on the roof is a rubber or silicone layer. This can help to effectively seal your roof and can even provide you with some temporary relief from roof leaks as well. Just follow the directions as you apply the layer and keep in mind that you would have to apply a fresh coat every few months.
- Seals the roof: One of the advantages of sealing your roof with a sealant is the reduced charges of heating and cooling your home. As you utilize a sealant on your roof, you will find that less hot and cold air escapes through the same. This should lead to less power consumption and a lower power bill to foot.
These are some of the tips that you need to review before you start painting your roof.