With the variations in energy pricing, you might be wondering if it would be better to take a gas boiler or an advanced electric boiler. We have a list of points we would like to discuss with you regarding the advantages of electric boilers over any boiler and why you should get one immediately.
What are Electric boilers?
Electric boilers are devices used to heat up the system to produce a warm environment and also produce hot water whenever necessary. Electric boilers use electricity alone to heat up the hot water for your heating system. A gas boiler can be used with natural gas to provide the heating whereas electric boilers can be used anywhere. They can be used in places where the gas supply is not possible as well. Electric boilers can also be called an electric central heating boiler because they can also be used to provide warmth to the interior of the building from a single point to different places.
The working of the electric boilers is the same as that of the gas boilers but the only difference is the type of power at the input. The boiler is simple and the design is compact. Basically, the parts of a heater are:
- A unit with water running through it
- The water is heated by a heating element
Some of the boilers have a long slim design to have the maximum surface area for the heating process. All these properties make them the most ideal one for places with no gas supply, and those with small rooms and ceilings. Most of the boilers have a rating which starts from 4kW to 14.4kW. The rating can also increase if you want the boiler for a certain set of homes together. The size of your house and your heating requirements will decide the output you need. The boilers with low kW output are cheap and have lesser maintenance costs when compared to the larger models. However, boilers are a one-time investment. Hence, it would not be so ideal if you choose a cheaper boiler or a costly one. The average life expectancy of an electric boiler would be from 8 to 10 years whereas the life expectancy of a gas boiler would be from 10 to 15 years. The superior quality boilers, on the other hand, can be maintained for almost 20 years or more easily. They will need to be replaced only if you are looking at more energy efficient models. The various advantages of electric boilers are:
- Energy efficiency: One of the biggest advantages of purchasing electric boilers is energy efficiency. Their efficiency can go to as much as 99%. There will also be no requirement to burn any fossil fuels. Hence, there will be no heat which can be lost through the pipes or the chimneys.
- No gas supply: A great majority of the houses do not get gas supply in the present day situation. So, the best option is to get an electric boiler to produce central heating and hot water. It is also dangerous to have a gas supply as it is highly inflammable.
- Compact sizes: When compared to gas boilers, electric boilers are very small. This means that the boiler can be attached to any corner of the house with great flexibility.
- Installation costs: Unlike the gas boilers, electric boilers do not need separate chimneys to emit the waste. Hence, the installation costs of the electric boilers are very less when compared to the gas boilers. The installation of a gas boiler will be more if you do not have access to gas connection and they have to get the gas pipes installed as well.
- Running and maintenance: Electric boilers are very quiet when they run. The maintenance of the boiler is also very less. The equipment and machinery are very durable and long-lasting.